The Research Vessel for expedition
The research vessel “Joseph von Fraunhofer” of the Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft is equipped with the latest navigation technology and has an operating range of 300 nautical miles. Due to the great flexibility of the ship various research projects can be performed. On board is a research lab, a crane with a load capacity of 450 kg as well as small tender boat. Two main engines and the bow and stern thrusters warrant an excellent maneuverability. Moreover the broad platform at the stern of the ship offers divers a convenient boarding and deboarding. Due to the comprehensive maritime safety equipment all security requirements are assured. Via radio (VHF) and internet connections the communication and data transmission with the land base is possible.
By combination with our mobile cell technology lab ideal opportunities are offered to realize also long-term sample and test series. The Fraunhofer EMB operates the vessel together with the Fraunhofer IBMT in accordance with the company statutes of the Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft for research and development tasks. We employ the ship for example to test and demonstrate technical developments or to collect specimen for scientific purposes.
- Sample collection of biological organisms in coastal regions for biotechnology research (Fish, Algae, invertebrates)
- Accompanying research to offshore aquacultures
- Design of novel sensors or probes for the measurement of abiotic and biotic factors in cooperation with relevant manufacturing companies
- Development of measures concerning the conservation of genetic resources in order to protect and preserve the ecosystem
- Design of new drive and navigation technologies
- Testing of remotely operated vehicles (ROVs) and autonomous underwater vehicles (AUVs) under real conditions
- Development and testing of novel anti-fouling coatings
- Underwater photography
- Diving excursions, buoys control, Sample collection with the tender boat